Sample examination questions:
1. The localism of pre-industrial society was exemplified in lectures by reference to
a. medieval legal codes
b. precedents in English Common Law
c. the Old Testament view of strangers
2. Which of these was NOT listed as a principal effect of the French Revolution?
3. Which of these statements is true according to Comte?
a. psychology is the primary human science
b. mathematics is the earliest science
c. all sciences must someday be mathematical in form
4. The "Demographic tendency" refers to
a. a tendency to limit population growth below the level of misery
b. the tendency for a successful society to grow in size
c. the probability that decision-making becomes more widespread
5. Spencer used evolution of the solar system, earth, organisms,
etc. as _______ proof.
a. a deductive
b. an ontological
c. an inductive
6. The more recent type of society identified by Spencer is based on _______ relations.
7. Henry T. Buckle argued that ________ was the driving force of social evolution
8. Durkheim uses the term _______ sanctions to refer to punishment.
9. Durkheim argued that mechanical solidarity
a. included at least division of labor based on age and sex
b. must have existed in pure form among hunter-gatherers
c. made organic solidarity impossible
10. The fundamental characteristic distinguishing man from other animals, Marx says, is
b. tool use
11. Weber says that when ideology is pursued as an end-in-itself, the result is
a. civil war
b. lack of attention to material needs
c. political and economic stagnation
12. Weber's most important contribution to political thought was his analysis of